[tg] Time passed error / cron

Mike Brescia m.brescia@comcast.net
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:36:46 -0500

  --- Barbara Denny <b_a_denny@yahoo.com> sez:
>I believe the meaning of 30 seconds is on the next 30
>second boundary run this script, not 30 seconds
>from now run this script)

>--- "Rafter, Marcel" <MRafter@Vianetworks.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hello all,
>  > I am using cron to start multiple tg programs at the
>  > hour of 07:00. All .tg files start with "on 0:30".
>>  The problem is that a small percentage of the tg
>>  progs start but most fail with the following error:
>>  Starting time already passed!
>>  Restart program!
>>
>>  I don't understand this. Cron start a the start of
>>  the minute and I am sure that it does not take 30sec
>>  to start the prog? How can I setup the .tg files so
>  > that the always start?

You might avoid tighness in the timing between the kickoff time from
cron and the coordination time ("on 0:30") for all of the tg's to
start.  Something like cron kickoff at 0659 and tg "on 2:00" would
give you about 60 seconds to get all the tg's initialized and ready
to test at 0700.  For manual tests, I often watched the clock and
waited to be sure the second hand was not near a round number.

Good hunting,
  -- Mike