[tg] Compiling errors

Torben Vinther Schmidt mariachi@cs.auc.dk
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:01:53 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I'm a computer science major student in distributed systems and i'm
writing about firewalls.
In our study we need a traffic generator and found tg to be the most
suiteable. However, we would like to extend the code with a weibull
(factal) distribution as this is more representive than any of the current
distributions available in the program.
It is, however, a simple task to extend the code with a new distribution,
but the current code contains errors under Linux using bison/byacc as
yacc.

Below is the output from a non-modified source (taken from
http://www.postel.org/tg/download.html) using bison (a simmilar
output is generated using byacc).

:~/tg2.0/src/tg$ make
Expect non-portable character class warning (ASCII assumed).
flex -l  scan.l
"scan.l", line 262: warning, dangerous trailing context
"scan.l", line 262: warning, dangerous trailing context
Expect -no- shift/reduce conflicts.
yacc -vd tg.y
10 rules never reduced
tg.y contains 3 useless nonterminals and 10 useless rules
conflicts:  8 shift/reduce

Running Debian Linux - kernel version 2.4.17
$ yacc -V
bison (GNU Bison) 1.34
$ flex -V
flex version 2.5.4
$ make -v
GNU Make version 3.79.1

Please advise on anything that might solve this problem OR what programs
should be "downgraded" in order to make it work.

Regards
mariachi@cs.auc.dk