[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Roch Guerin guerin at ee.upenn.edu
Fri Nov 11 09:08:23 PST 2005

Scott,

Maybe I have not carefully read all the emails that have circulated, but
I don't think I have seen criticism targeted explicitly at HotNets,
which I think everyone has agreed has played a very positive role over
the past few years.  And that certainly has not been the motivation
behind any of the inputs I have made to the discussion.

As far as gratitude is concerned,  this seems to be a totally different
topic, and maybe one that is worth its own discussion, i.e., are we
doing enough to acknowledge people's efforts and contributions when they
volunteer time and energy that ultimately benefits the whole
community.   It is probably true that we don't, but I'll argue that this
extends beyond HotNets and lumping the two together does not seem really
justified.

So again maybe I am being myopic, but I've viewed HotNets as a catalyst
for a discussion on the role and scope of limited-attendance venues, and
not as the target of any specific criticism.   I'm neither ignoring nor
dismissing your point, I just don't think that it is the case.

Roch