[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Jennifer Rexford jrex at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Nov 11 07:41:48 PST 2005

Scott,

I agree that you raise an important point.  The HotNets steering
committee has done yeoman service in creating a very successful event.
As I mentioned in my first e-mail on the list, we should do everything
we can not to get in the way of dedicated volunteers trying to do their
jobs and create successful events, by erring on the side of autonomy
wherever possible.

This whole discussion arose in the context of what specific (hopefully
very limited) areas, if any, the SIG should provide guidlines or
requirements to the steering committees of sponsored events.  The goal
is limit the intrusion to as few areas as possible, motivated by the
values of the SIG and the needs of the community.  I think this is a
useful discussion to have.  I'm sorry that implicit criticism -- and
perhaps moreso the perception of criticism -- of a specific event
(namely HotNets) has creeped into the discussion.  That was certainly
not our intent.

Throughout this discussion, we're all just trying to do our jobs, too,
in terms of responding to the needs of the community.  This is not fun.
  Folks on the list may disagree on the details, but I think we are all
trying to act with the good of the community in mind.  On that, I don't
think there is disagreement.

-- Jen