[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Jennifer Rexford jrex at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Nov 9 05:35:05 PST 2005

Joe,

> The key question is _why_ random isn't good enough, and why limit
> attendance at all?

I'll take a stab at this, despite my personal preference for open
attendance.  Why limit attendance?  Because attendance, along with other
factors such as venue selection, have a significant impact on the amount
of discussion that ensues in a workshop.  I attended the MIT HotNets
(because I was presenting a paper) and it was, in my opinion, the best
workshop or conference I ever attended.  The room was small, and
shallow, and the mingling area outside the room was small.  We didn't
need microphones.  People interupted during the presentations, and talks
engendering discussion ran long.  Attendance was by no means the only
factor here, but it was undoubtedly a factor.  Would I want other people
in the community to have the benefit of this experience?  You bet.

Yet, I'm not able to say what the maximum number is where this dynamic
starts to break down, and I appreciate that the breaking point does not
depend only on size.  For example, a larger room, or a room with poor
acoustics, or a room that opens into a distracting place where people
want to mingle instead of attending the talks, etc. all detract from the
experience.  Fortunately, all of these factors can be controlled in
venue selection, and the organizers take on the responsibility for
handling that, so these issues are orthogonal to our discussion here.
Attendance size, and the makeup of the attendees, are the only remaining
issues before us.

So, what are the trade-offs between random and other methods?  Random is
clearly fair, which is an important goal for a professional society.
Would random attendance generate the same level of discussion as other
methods?  I don't know, but my inclination is that it might not.  For
example, if you did "random amongst authors of submitted papers" or
"random among authors of papers the PC viewed as above some bar -- i.e.,
excluding papers that were clearly written just to be eligible to
attend", you might get folks more likely to contribute actively to the
discourse.  Of course, such methods (like any others) are just
heuristics, as you can't easily control whether people will be active,
thoughtful participants at a workshop, but these kinds of methods might
be reasonably viewed as more likely to engender technical discussion.

Then, sprinkle in the fact that we really want to have students
participate in all of our events, because they are the lifeblood of our
community, and they (like the rest of us) learn on the job.  So, I could
see forgoing "random" in favor of a policy that tried to get a mix of
students (e.g., as authors of strong submissions that weren't accepted).

Anyway, where am I heading with this?  I think we have a classic case of
competing priorities here.  Personally, I think the community is
interested in an open event where hot topics are presented and
discussed, and I lean toward openness, even if a larger event inevitably
decreases the amount of discourse somewhat.  Yet, I can see the points
of the other side on this, in terms of wanting to limit attendance to
keep the level of discourse high.  I (again, personally, as opposed to
trying to dictate policy) can see the SIG sponsoring a few limited
attendance events, as long as the policy is transparent and fair --
where I realize that fair is a slippery word.

-- Jen <-- with SIG chair hat off