[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Larry Peterson llp at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Nov 9 06:30:06 PST 2005

You've done a good job of articulating the issues.
We can debate:

     o value of closed (in absolute terms)
     o value of closed (in terms of ROI to SIGCOMM)
     o if closed, how do we select attendees
     o if closed, how many people is too many

I think you're pointing to the 2nd issue as the one on which
we have a disagreement (with the caveat that the ROI is higher
during the first couple of years, so maybe such events are worth
sponsoring as they start).

However, I believe SIGCOMM's investment in HotNets is pretty
small. It was larger when SIGCOMM helped jump start the workshop
by publishing the proceedings, but that's no longer the case.

Does this then boil down to an issue of principle? Maybe...
 From one perspective, framing the issue as one of "fairness
and openness" certainly leads to the position you're taking.
 From another perspective, "fostering scientific dialogue"
seems to be the tag line I'm advocating.

Let me try the following argument. SIGCOMM can't prohibit
private meetings among researchers with common interests.
They happen because they have value, and quite frankly, we
all we to be invited to those meetings because we know their
tremendous value. HotNets is an opportunity for SIGCOMM to
sponsor such a meeting with a much greater degree of fairness
and equal-opportunity than the best of these private meetings.
A much broader and changing set of people get to participate,
and budgets willing, the proceedings might even be published.
My view is that there's room under SIGCOMM's tent to support
a limited number of such events.

Larry