[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Roch Guerin guerin at ee.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 9 05:09:37 PST 2005

Larry,

This is as good a proposal as we can get, when it comes to outlining
invitation policies for closed venues.

On the other hand, I think that one of the key issue we have been
debating is the extent to which closed venues, that are and remain
closed by design, are of benefits to the whole community at large.

For any venue, you have so called "direct" benefits that are in a form
that is accessible by all, such as proceedings or recording of the
sessions that are made available for public viewing.  These are tangible
items that can be assessed relatively easily.

Then you have what I would call "indirect" benefits that are essentially
measuring the subsequent impact the venue has in terms of promoting a
new research agenda or initiating discussions and follow-on work on
various problems.  In the case of open venues, one can make the case
that everyone has access to these benefits if they choose to
participate.  The situation is different for closed venues, which argue
that a small, selected audience is needed in order to enable the kind of
interactions that produce such outcomes.  This is I believe the source
of the debate, as for closed venues the only clear/immediate
beneficiaries are the attendees and not necessarily the community at
large.   Arguing that this is the case is where things start being more
in the realm of opinions than hard evidences, and for which, as Greg
articulated, there seems to be two different view points.

I know that personally I am not convinced that a venue that persists as
a closed event represents a good "return on investment" of SIG resources
in terms of offering sustained benefits to the entire community.  This
does not mean that such a venue wont be producing good results, but just
that over time there is a law of diminishing return in terms of the the
spill-over of these benefits to the rest of the community.  I would
rather apply SIG resources to foster initiatives in new directions
(again, these can be closed initially in order to help things get
started) and support venues that ultimately open-up to let the community
directly decide how to best derive benefits from those venues.

Roch