[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Roch Guerin guerin at ee.upenn.edu
Fri Nov 11 04:33:15 PST 2005

Larry,

Thanks for the additional input and let me try to see if I can both
summarize some of the positions that have been expressed and maybe
identify a possible consensus, mostly along similar lines as what Mark
outlined in his last email.

I don't think that anyone is disagreeing with the potential benefits
associated with small, focused venues such as HotNets, and in particular
of the positive role that HotNets has played over the past few years.
In that respect, I believe that the concerns that Scott expressed in his
last email are not the issue.

The main question is how to reconcile the need for keeping the audience
sufficiently small to be conducive to interactive and productive
exchanges, with the need to be "open" regarding who has (direct) access
to the benefits associated with participating in those exchanges.  The
latter being also key in broadening our community and bringing in new
people.

This, as you point out, is probably largely an issue of principle, and
although I wont really follow you in your argument that "private
meetings will happen anyhow because of their intrinsic value, so lets
make the best of it by ensuring that they are as fair as possible", I
also don't think that things are completely black and white and there
should be room for a consensus middle-ground.

The main sticking point is again that of openness of attendance, but
I'll be the first to agree that openness itself does not have an
unambiguous definition.  Charging a $500 admission fee rules out
participating in some conferences for many.  Similarly, as has been
pointed out, the selection of a given location will open attendance to
some and close it for others, etc.   So the question is where to draw
the line to on one hand keep the overall audience small enough, and on
the other hand open attendance enough so as to give "outsiders" a
reasonable chance of getting in.

I think there is some consensus that authors of accepted papers and PC
members should be given priority in terms of attendance.  So the
question is then how many more slots can be accommodated after that, how
are they to be allocated, and what is the threshold/process that would
meet the goal of sufficient openness?

I don't think it would be productive to go into bean counting
specifications regarding the number of "open" slots, but it might be
possible to generate some rough guidelines on what would be a reasonable
percentage and how these could be allocated.  There have been a number
of proposals put forward to accomplish this, but my own preference is to
go with something with the least number of control knobs, e.g., 30% of
open slots that are allocated on a fcfs basis or any other scheme that
is as transparent as possible.  I actually don't think that it is that
meaningful or even practical to tightly control/monitor a single
instance of a venue, and instead I think that Mark's "sliding window"
approach that monitors attendance diversity over a number of years is
the better way to go about it (I must admit having also been surprised
by the number you gave regarding HotNets attendance - 145 unique
individuals out of 181 for the last 3 years - which is really great).
In that respect, I very much like the longer term perspective of his
proposal.  I think that guidelines that on one hand call for some
partial opening of the attendance criteria of a "closed" venue,  e.g.,
having a certain percentage of open slots, and more importantly enforce
a monitoring of the actual attendance diversity of a period of several
years can represent a reasonable approach and compromise.

Obviously, there are some mechanical details that need to be addressed,
e.g., Mark's suggestion for a SC, and there has to be a commitment to
enforce the guidelines and be willing to pull the plug if necessary, but
this might be a solution that satisfies the principle of openness and
accessibility to the larger community, while preserving the ability to
keep audiences small enough to allow interactive discussions.

Roch