[sigcomm] Sigcomm Asia

Nicolas Christin nicolasc at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Nov 13 21:46:17 PST 2006

Jen,

That sounds great. Are there any other regional activities going on,
or planned, besides the organization of the Asia workshop?

Like many, I've noted that there is a lot of interesting research
going on in Asia in general, which is seemingly under-represented in
ACM publications. Japan is a good example of this - lots of cool
ideas published in Japanese journals don't really come to us.

This is an old debate about how to best reach out outside of the
historically dominant North American market. However, it seems to me
that there has been in recent years an increasing number of North
America-educated researchers working either in Asia, or in close
collaboration with Asian researchers. This is just an impression not
substantiated by any hard data, but, if true, this may help bridge
the gap...

I was wondering if this type of discussion topic was appropriate for
this mailing-list and/or if reports on "global" activities of Sigcomm
were available somewhere to get a bit more information.

Thanks,
Nicolas