[sigcomm] sig/eurosig/asiasig?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Tue Mar 21 12:19:25 PST 2006

I have a slightly different view on these issues.

SIGCOMM has chosen to remain a single track conference and be held once
a year because, based on polls, that's what the SIG membership wants.

Yes there are plenty of arguments about how other approaches might be
better -- but this is what folks have said they wanted when offered
alternatives.

For similar reasons, it is why we continue to publish the conference
proceedings in paper (at substantial expense) vs. simply handing out DVDs.
Polls repeatedly show that people want the paper proceeding -- that they
find the paper copy encourages them to read the papers and they value it.

So, if one wants to create a world where there are say, two SIGCOMM
conferences a year, the challenge is to create a proposal that is
coherent and clear enough that we can poll the membership and see if
it appeals.  Such a proposal would also need to address the issues
that creating two a year conferences would create.

Craig