[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Ken Calvert calvert at netlab.uky.edu
Wed Oct 26 06:25:06 PDT 2005

I second Craig's point:

> It seems to me that the issue is whether the benefit *to
> the SIGCOMM community* of having a closed workshop is
> large enough to exclude some parties who wish to attend
> the workshop.

Most participants in the discussion so far have been
organizers/attendees of such meetings; it's not surprising
that they would support SIG sponsorship.  If any conclusions
are going to be reached as a result of the current
discussion, participation from a much wider cross-section of
the SIGCOMM community is needed.

(In fact the question could be answered pretty
straightforwardly by a poll, at least for meetings that have
a history:  "Do you, as a SIGCOMM member, see enough value
in [insert name of meeting] to justify SIG sponsorship, even
though some members who want to attend will not be able
to?")

Anyway, here's another data point.  I'm skeptical about
limiting attendance for the sole purpose of "encouraging
lively discussion".  As others have suggested, once you have
too many participants to sit around one table, a particular
size is neither necessary nor sufficient for good
discussion, and having an arbitrary limit just risks the
perception of exclusivity (which I believe has been
acknowledged as an issue for SIGCOMM in the past).

I am somewhat more sympathetic with limiting numbers to
reduce uncertainty in planning, or to meet venue constraints
in some cases.

Finally, I think the more important transparency question is
one level up: What is SIGCOMM's policy on sponsorship of
meetings in general?  What criteria are used to decide
whether SIGCOMM will sponsor a meeting?  Who makes the
decision?  (A quick perusal of the web site found lots of
advice for those wanting to organize meetings, but no
policies, though I may have missed something.)  This part of
the process should be as open and transparent as possible,
to avoid any appearance of exclusivity.

[Full disclosure: I have (so far) not attended or submitted
to any recent closed-attendance event.  Once, a looong time
ago, my registration for SOSP was rejected because
attendance was limited and the big company I worked for at
that time already had its share of attendees.]

KC
--
Ken Calvert, Associate Professor      Lab for Advanced Networking
calvert at netlab.uky.edu                     University of Kentucky