[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Nov 8 16:00:58 PST 2005

Greg Minshall wrote:
> Joe,
>
> trying to understand the sociology of all this...
>
> could you elaborate a bit on:
>
>>  desire to limit the content of the group discussing the work
>> 		this is, I believe, the hidden intent behind some of the
>> 		nature of 'invitations';
>
> ?

The only reason for having person-specific invitations - vs. random - is
that some people's participation is viewed as more valuable than others,
a-priori.

This allows the chair to skew the content of the discussion. E.g., if we
want to have an ATM-fest, we might invite only ATM-friendly folk. Or for
ATM-bashing, only ATM haters.

While I appreciate that we all would like to 'trust the chairs', we do
NOT trust the chairs to _invite_ all the papers (or the PC, for that
matter) - they chose them based on submissions and feedback. Where
submissions are not open or feedback not provided, sponsorship has not
been granted (or been withdrawn). Similarly, participation should not be
invited either.

Joe