[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Nick Feamster feamster at lcs.mit.edu
Mon Nov 7 19:48:06 PST 2005

Independent of my personal stance on "open" vs. "limited" for ACM-funded
events, I think we might want to give a little more thought to effective
ways to blur the distinction between these two extremes.

For example, one point in the solution space (which I am not necessarily
advocating) might be:
	- Some form of limited attendance policy (FCFS, authors only, etc.)
	- Live webcast of workshop
	- 20-minute talks, 7 minutes of questions from people present in
	  the room, 3 minutes of "mailbag" questions by email
	- Scribes to take notes of Q&A, to be published at the end of
	  the workshop (digitally, if funds are limited).  Volunteering
	  to scribe could, of course, be one way to get invited.

Those people who send thoughtful questions by email might raise the
attention of the workshop organizers for the next year.

Feel free to rip this apart; I am merely suggesting that there may be a
way to use technology to strike the right balance between limited
attendance, meritocracy, and openness.  We are, after all, a
communications society.

-Nick