[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Sun Nov 6 13:34:54 PST 2005

I like the initial proposal Jen posted; it sets the right tone about
limited attendance (OK for startup or small number) and policy (seems to
prohibit or at least make very difficult 'invitation' events ), although
I agree with Christophe that I'd prefer to be more explicit about
excluding support for those.

I disagree that the PC should be deciding attendance; they already get
to decide what is presented. Deciding the audience defeats the ACM's
stated goal of open discourse; it's too easy to end up with 'mutual
admiration societies', 'cliques', or other versions of distorted feedback.

As to Scott's point about this not affecting HotNets (based on how many
invitations are issued), I would expect the larger impact to be on
whether it can stay invited/limited at still be SIGCOMM affiliated. It's
too far along to count under initial conditions.

As to Scott's point about losing the point, the meetings the SIG
sponsors are to promote the _discourse_ part of science. We're not a
research organization. Promoting/advancing science per se is for the
NSF, DARPA (when it puts the R back in, at least ;-) or other
organizations; they already have numerous closed meetings.

I agree with what others have concluded on invitation-based events; they
may be useful, but are not appropriate use of ACM resources.

Joe