[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Roch Guerin guerin at ee.upenn.edu
Sat Nov 5 17:09:41 PST 2005

Larry,

Let me make it more explicit.

A closed venue aimed at ensuring sufficient focus to get an activity off
the ground that eventually will benefit the whole community is perfectly OK.

A closed but more mature venue that argues that it benefits the whole
community is what I don't buy.  Offering broad exposure to new ideas by
allowing everyone interested to participate, at least as an audience, is
in my mind a key requirement in order to claim that this is benefiting
the SIG at large.

This has *nothing* to do with wether or not a small workshop is good or
not, and everything to do with who is allowed to benefit from that goodness.
I'm sure you can make a convincing case that a private beach is "good",
just don't ask for state or federal sponsorship for it ;-)

I'll argue that if there is a substantial demand from the community for
a forum addressing a particular topic, then this is a sign that this
forum has matured, as was indeed the case for IMW.  It may then well be
that given the current state of networking research, discussing emerging
ideas and vision statements is now a mature topic and something that
many should be allowed to be exposed to and even involved in.  If that
turns out to be the case, then people should be allowed that option.
Alternatively, if Hotnets is not targeting a mature area, then it wont
attract too many people even if you open it up.  So what's the problem?

Roch