[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Scott Shenker shenker at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Nov 5 11:52:44 PST 2005

On Nov 5, 2005, at 11:30 AM, Christophe Diot wrote:

>> 4)  If SIGCOMM decides that pro-forma fairness, in the guise of
>> making every SIGCOMM-sponsored event open or making every closed
>> workshop use mechanical acceptance rules (e.g., FCFS, authors
>> only,  etc.), is more important than promoting science, then it
>> will have  lost sight of a larger purpose.
>
> making fairness orthogonal to promotion of science is pretty
> adventurous. I advocate fairness to help promotion of science to
> all, and not to a small number of privileged people.

That's noble of you, but it doesn't seem responsive to my point.
While I understand that it makes an attractive target for your
polemic, no one is advocating acting in the interests of a small
number of privileged people.  What we are asking is if SIGCOMM should
give the PC chairs some latitude in attendance policies when, and
only when, it improves the advancement of science for all.