[e2e] How many transmission attempts should be done on wireless networks?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Sep 18 06:59:27 PDT 2009

Hi to all,

this debate continues to appear here now and then in the list ;-) and to
my understanding, the positions are quite extreme here.

On the one hand, there are some standards, who do "heroic effort"
(credits to DPR ;-)) and allow to configure even a SDU corruption ratio
10⁻9.

On the other hand, there is e.g. DPR, who does hardly any effort and
says, there should be typically not more than three transmission attempts.

I would like to understand these positions a bit better than now and
perhaps, there are some strong facts, which support the one or the other
view.

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau		Galileistraße 30	70565 Stuttgart
phone: +49 711 5208031	mobile: +49 172 6819937	skype: detlef.bosau