[e2e] How many transmission attempts should be done on wireless networks?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Sep 18 08:38:50 PDT 2009

To me it comes down to a simple thing:

end-to-end packet latency matters to the higher layers,

controlling the combined incoming rate of packets must be done at the
endpoints, since they are the only place to back off,

Internal bottlenecks cause large queueing delays to build up, and absent
packet drops, those queues will drain only as fast as the outgoing links
that service them can carry packets,

The *application* control loops to manage application layer backoff
share the same paths and the same queueing delays as do all the rest of
the packets,  (this could be ameliorated by making a separate flow
control channel, but there are a wide range of applications that would
prefer to back off intelligently - e.g. use lower rate codecs or decide
to go drink coffee and come back when the net is more lightly loaded -
so the control channel cannot be based on some fixed theory that hides
control from apps).

In any case, in today's TCP, we should be seeking Kleinrock's optimum
steady state - a pipelining state such that no router *ever* has more
than one packet in each outgoing queue (on the average).   On links that
are not bottlenecks, the average is << 1 packet in the outgoing queue,
on links that are bottlenecks, the combined flows traversing that link
are such that the average queue length is 1 packet.

This is the "minimal latency" state that sustains the maximum overall
achievable throughput of a steady state network.  Analogous to a
single-queue being "double buffered", where a new packet arrives just as
the old packet completes.

Because of the delays in the control loops at the endpoints that cannot
measure without long delay, entry and exit of new flows, and other
non-steady-state things, we actually are able to tolerate queue averages
a few packets (2-3) long on the average, in service of keeping
throughput up in the worst case without resonances and other problems
that relate to control instabilities.

It's not the size of the buffers that matters - they handle transients
better.  What matters is not dropping packets feeding into a bottleneck
aggressively enough to keep the outgoing queue drained, so it doesn't
build up sustained backups of obsolete packets.