[e2e] userlevel TCP diagnostics

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Sep 27 11:30:46 PDT 2006

It was my impression that there was quite a bit of published work on
this over the past 20 years.  I think that Allison Mankin did some
work on it, in a former life.

Bob Braden

  *> From: mort <mort at ieee.org>
  *> To: end2end-interest at postel.org
  *> Subject: [e2e] userlevel TCP diagnostics
  *> 	<end2end-interest.postel.org>
  *>
  *> hi,
  *>
  *> upon reading RFC 675 recently, i came across the following text:
  *>
  *> """
  *> 5.  NETWORK MEASUREMENT PLANS FOR TCP
  *>
  *> 5.1  USERLEVEL DIAGNOSTICS
  *>
  *>    We have in mind a program which will exercise a given TCP, causing it
  *>    to cycle through a number of states; opening, closing, and
  *>    transmitting on a variety of connections. This program will collect
  *>    statistics and will generally try to detect deviation from TCP
  *>    functional specifications. Clearly there will have to be a copy of
  *>    this program both at the local site being tested and some site which
  *>    has a certified TCP. So we will have to produce a specification for
  *>    this user level diagnostic program also.
  *>
  *>    There needs to be a master and a slave side to all this so the master
  *>    can tell the slave what's going wrong with the test.
  *> """
  *>
  *> ...a precursor to a self-managed Internet perhaps :)
  *>
  *> anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether this
  *> program/service was ever implemented and deployed, and whether it was
  *> reported anywhere?  (and if not, why not?)
  *>
  *> thanks,
  *>
  *> R.