[e2e] Use of RED in practice?

Zartash Afzal Uzmi zartash at lums.edu.pk
Sun Mar 26 11:40:00 PST 2006

Hi all,

I wonder if some practitioners (or academics) can shed some light on the
usage of RED (or a variant) in real networks. I recently ran into a
situation where there was a difference in opinion whether RED is activated
on deployed networks or not?

My question is not about router manufacturers implementing RED in their
routers? The question is about how many routers are enabled with RED (or a
variant)? Does everyone use it? No one uses it in practice? Some Tier-x ISPs
use it????

There is some material on Sally's webpage regarding implementation
experiences (http://www.icir.org/floyd/red.html) but it is not clear if
those implementations were done on an experimental basis or are currently
used in live networks. For example, there is a link which says "WRED is
enabled on Cisco GSRs on overloaded links at AS1 (Genuity), to reduce
queueing delay. Experience has been positive." (reported back in 2000) but
leaves me wondering if they still enable RED within networks of all (or
some) ISPs?

Please clarify if the answer depends upon the Tier level of the service
provider. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Zartash

====
Zartash Afzal Uzmi
Associate Professor,
Computer Science and Engineering
Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
Opp. Sector "U", D.H.A., Lahore Cantt. 54792, Pakistan.
Phone: +92 42 572 2670-79 extension: 4425
Fax: +92 42 589 8315