[tg] Do I need two computers?

Fernando Lemos (QRA) Fernando.Lemos@era.ericsson.se
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:13:16 +0100

Well, the 'loopback' is exactly what I don't want to happen, because I want the traffic to go through the network.
So, if I can't force the traffic to make a cicle on the network and come back in the second interface, then I would use two computers. I would like to know what your suggestion is... how would you install it?

NTP is completely independent from TG, right? Can I install it in two linux boxes and is it going to synchronize them? Where can I get it?

Thanks for your support!

Fernando.

-----Original Message-----
From: Venkata Pingali [mailto:pingali@ISI.EDU]
Sent: den 20 februari 2002 19:29
To: Fernando Lemos (QRA)
Cc: tg@postel.org
Subject: Re: [tg] Do I need two computers?

Fernando Lemos (QRA) wrote:

>Hello again!
>I want to install TG and see how it works. First doubt I have is if I can install it only in one computer with to Network Interfaces (one for the generator and one for the sink). If I do that, does the packets go through the network?

You can install on one machine but you dont need two interfaces to
test TG. It is socket level communication. The "loopback"
will typically happen in the kernel or on the interface.

>Should I install the TG in two computers then? How are the clocks going to be synchronized?

The post processing script accounts for the skew between the clocks of
te sender and receiver. Installing NTP can help.