[tg] Do I need two computers?

Fernando Lemos (QRA) Fernando.Lemos@era.ericsson.se
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:13:52 +0100

Hello again!
I want to install TG and see how it works. First doubt I have is if I can install it only in one computer with to Network Interfaces (one for the generator and one for the sink). If I do that, does the packets go through the network?
Should I install the TG in two computers then? How are the clocks going to be synchronized?

If you have answers for this questions, I would appreciate it a lot!
Thanks,
Fernando.

-----Original Message-----
From: Venkata Pingali [mailto:pingali@ISI.EDU]
Sent: den 14 februari 2002 10:37
To: Fernando.Lemos@era.ericsson.se
Cc: tg@postel.org
Subject: Re: [tg] Doubt about TG TCP generation

TG uses the host OS's TCP implementation as presented through the standard
socket API. TG can only control when packets are scheduled (the timing), their
sizes etc. but cannot control what the TCP implementation does (eg. retries,
merging packets etc.).

The assumption is that over an extended period of time, when TCP finds its
approximate steady state, data will be delivered at (roughly) the user
specified rates (If the rate is not high enough to stress the system call
interface and the rest of the network traffic does not interfere with this
test traffic).

Venkata