[sigcomm] Shadow TPC for CoNEXT 2007

Olivier Bonaventure Bonaventure at info.ucl.ac.be
Sat Jun 30 12:19:11 PDT 2007

Dear colleague,

Reviewing and selecting papers by participating at TPC is one of the
many facets of the work of researchers. Despite the importance of this
work, young researchers are only trained on the spot. In parallel with
the CoNext 2007 conference ( http://www.sigcomm.org/co-next2007 ),
Laurent Mathy and Olivier Bonaventure organise a shadow TPC for young
PhD graduates.

The shadow TPC is entirely educational. The members of shadow TPC will
write real reviews that will be used to select a programme and will be
returned to paper authors. We will contact the authors of papers
submitted to CoNEXT2007 to allow them to opt-in to allow the shadow TPC
to also review their paper. We will organise the shadow TPC meeting on
Sept. 27th and 28th in Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium).

The shadow TPC meeting will be composed of two parts. During the first
part, we will consider the reviews written by the members of  the shadow
TPC to rank the papers and prepare a shadow programme. During the second
part, the shadow TPC will hold a meta-discussion about the process with
access to both their own reviews and the anonymized reviews of the real
TPC (the CoNEXT2007 TPC members will also be allowed to conceal their
reviews from the shadow TPC if they wish so). This discussion will cover
how to write a good networking paper, how to review one, and how a
conference programme is chosen.

You can find additional information about previous experiences with
shadow TPCs by reading the paper published by Anja Feldmann about her
experience with a SIGCOMM shadow TPC, see
http://www.net.in.tum.de/~anja/sigcomm2005/shadow_pc.html and
http://www.net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~anja/feldmann/papers/shadow.pdf

We are now recruiting members for the CoNEXT 2007 shadow TPC. If you are
a PhD advisor and feel that someone who recently graduated from your
university or will graduate this year would both qualify and benefit
from this educational experience, let us know. The shadow TPC will of
course, have no influence on the selection of the official Conext 2007
papers. We expect a shadow TPC composed of between 30 and 50
members and each shadow TPC member will have to review about a dozen of
papers during the summer and more importantly each shadow TPC member
will participate to the shadow TPC meeting in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium.

When proposing one shadow TPC member, please indicate their
main expertise among the CoNext 2007 topics :

Internet measurements and modelling
Economic aspects of the Internet
Implementation and experimental evaluation of network protocols/applications
Network security and deep packet inspection
Networked games, multimedia applications
Routing and traffic engineering
Peer-to-peer and overlay networks
Wireless and mobile networks
Ad hoc and sensors networks
Delay and disruption tolerant networks
New networking protocols, architectures, and
addressing schemes
Autonomic and dependable communications

We would appreciate if you could send us your proposals for candidate
shadow TPC members by July 6th.

Best regards,

Laurent Mathy and Olivier Bonaventure