[sigcomm] ccr comments

Christophe Diot christophe.diot at thomson.net
Sun Nov 5 05:49:47 PST 2006

Mark Allman wrote:

> I have a couple of CCR thoughts, based on that last few CCRs and
> triggered by the editor's message in the October issue.  Well, and
> Christophe said he wanted comments ...

yes please. thanks Mark for the comments. and sorry for the delay. I'll
try to give short answers as this message might become long and boring :)

> (1) Reviewed Articles vs. Editorial Zone

let me try to answer to all these points. first remember editorials are
experiemental. even the name "editorial" is experimental. its meaning is
clear in french but not that obvious in english. if you find a better
name, I'm game! We have three different types of editorials: (1)
community news, vision, reports, etc., (2) technical report with early
ideas seeking for comments, (3) position papers. (1) and (3) are clearly
in. You have more concern with (2), as I have too. On one hand, it is
not clear that these papers should be in this section as they are
technical papers; on the other, they motivate discussion (the best
example is the buffer serie -- but there will be 2 more example in the
next issue).

Now, i dont receive many spontaneous editorials. most are received after
solicitation from the editorial board or sigcomm exec committee
(therefore, they are submitted as editorials). I think I have rejected
two based on feedback from the area editors (maybe 3). I'm surprised you
know one of them. the criteria for technical paper is that they are
globally right, have at least an idea of interest and could motivate
some feedback. again, remember some issues are really tricky to put
together for lack of material ! and I'm sorry you find them sub-par. i
hope this opinion is not shared by all readers (I know authors of these
notes receive feedback and like this opportunity).

let me take an example: that's more than a year that i try to get a GENI
article but i couldnt get one yet, despite some people promise me one
for every issue. So, when i get too close from the deadline, I need to
find replacement stuff :-(

The size of editorials is flexible. I make a point to limit to 4 pages
the size of technical paper to make sure that there is a difference with
peer reviewed papers. Some have been longer. again, it depends on
multiple factors and when i receive a paper the day of the deadline and
it is 2 pages longer, there is nothing I can do.

	- I think mentioning in each editorial that the document
	has not been peer reviewed is a very good idea and i'm
	gonna implement that in the next issue.

	- another point to be discussed: do we need a separate
	section for short technical papers?

	- last, please voice if you think we should stop the short
	technical papers in CCR

I think I have answered all question raised in your message. please tell
me if i forgot one.

> (2) Not Many Papers

It is true that one of the most important constraint in CCR is the short
turn around in reviewing process and most of the time authors of
accepted papers have two weeks to send their final papers (Not in august
though for various reasons). But based on the feedback I receive, that's
also why people like CCR. The main reason for the number of papers
accepted in each issue is the poor quality of the paper we receive.
Sorry, do not ask me to elaborate. We (try to) publish ALL decently
written paper with some innovation. In case the paper needs more than 2
weeks of revision, we generally propose the authors to take a month and
resubmit to the following issue (which ends delaying the paper
publication by 3 months).

I hope that answers your questions. I do not want to increase the
duration of the cycle. If the next CCR editor wants to do it, he is
welcome to :) not clear it will improve the situation.

Separate comment about CCR online: CCR Online exists thanks to Moritz
steiner and Ernst Biersack. it is a volunteer work and is even more
experimental than everything else. Moritz is continuously updating CCR
Online based on feedback received from users. He is about to make
changes to create new categories, clarify the definition of an
editorial, make it easier to submit, etc. We need continuous feedback on
that. We also need feedback on the submission policy. Currently, we dont
moderate CCR online but ask submitters to register in order to minimize
the amount of junk. Again, maybe not optimal, but clearly experimental :)

and to conclude, I share your concern for trees. I could find many
articles that do not deserve the paper they are printed on. Proceedings
are big tree killers (in particular when you get them twice) and I hope
CCR will become fully online at some point.

christophe

disclaimer: nothing here is intended to hurt or insult anyone. If you
have a doubt, send me a note. That might simply be a cultural or
frenglish issue :-)