[sigcomm] considerations for reviewing extended papers

Muhammad Mukarram Bin Tariq mtariq at cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 9 04:51:39 PDT 2006

Another related policy is that of double blind-fold reviewing. Would
this policy in any way be changed depending on whether Sigcomm accepts
extended papers.  As I understand, the current policy requires the
authors not to make any material available to public (e.g., on line), or
make a citation in a way that would result in obvious loss of anonymity.

Similarly, there is the issue of whether the authors are required to
cite their earlier work, so that the reviewers can decide whether their
is significant "delta" from the previous publishing. If the authors are
required to do so, then the issue loops back to anonymity.  How should
authors cite their previous half-baked work and be able to say that it
is their work, published as work in progress, while keeping anonymity.
In many cases the work-in-progress publications do contain the bulk of
the central idea, and primarily lack in the depth of treatment, so
authors ought to be able to claim the idea as theirs (e.g. using a
footnote on the title page, declaring that a preliminary version
appeared elsewhere), so that the paper does not get shot down because
reviewers consider the idea to be a not new one.

Thanks,

Mukarram