[sigcomm] considerations for reviewing extended papers

Fred Douglis douglis at acm.org
Sat May 6 19:52:33 PDT 2006

> In my mind it, therefore, really boils down to ensuring that there is
> a large enough delta between the two
> submissions.  If and when that threshold is crossed, then the paper is
> eligible for consideration and should
> be evaluated on its own merit without penalizing it because the
> earlier submission.
I think I misunderstood some of the initial thread from Vern, and the
ensuing responses to my reply have been a big help.  I too would agree
that (a) there has to be a decent delta over previous work, and (b) the
ensuing paper does get evaluated on its full merits, not merely the
delta.  I would also argue (c) a synthesis of multiple workshop papers
is not a delta from the sum of the earlier papers and therefore would
not merit acceptance.   I do think that a sizable chunk of any SIGCOMM
paper should be new, unpublished work.

Fred