[sigcomm] considerations for reviewing extended papers

Jennifer Rexford jrex at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sat May 6 11:37:21 PDT 2006

I think there are two issues getting mixed together a bit here, that
would be useful to split apart.  First, should we require the longer
paper to be a non-trivial delta over the short paper to be considered at
a conference?  Second, if the long paper is being considered, should it
be evaluated based only on the delta or on the entire body of work.

In my mind, if the long paper doesn't have a non-trivial delta (e.g.,
the addition of an evaluation section, prototype, etc.) it's unlikely to
be in serious contention at a competitive venue anyway.  So, the first
question might be viewed as moot in practice.  On the second question, I
think we should judge the longer paper in its own right -- i.e., giving
it credit for whatever spark of an idea that the shorter paper already
articulated.  In my mind, that's the crux of the question.  If we judge
the paper only on the part that differs, it discourages work that
fleshes out a clever idea, or discourages publishing the spark of the
idea in a workshop beforehand.

-- Jen