[sigcomm] sig/eurosig/asiasig?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Mon Mar 20 12:49:06 PST 2006

Nick Feamster wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:18:01PM -0800, Joe Touch wrote:
>> Sigcomm 2007 in Kyoto will be our first foray into Asia, FYI.
>
> I should clarify:
>
> I'm aware of the rotation and the scheduling constraints, which is why I'm
> advocating multiple conferences (the crypto conference model), rather than a
> rotation through regions.  I am suggesting that all three (or at least two of
> the three) could happen yearly.

Sorry; didn't get that from the first post ;-)

One concern with multiple conferences - as with multiple tracks - is
dilution of the international community that having a single,
single-track meeting offers.

Few of us could attend all three; while having multiple meetings avoids
the 1-year delay for new work, it presents a challenge to avoid
fracturing the community that we've worked hard to establish.

Note, however, that we have helpd Sigcomm Asia and Sigcomm Latin America
- which were workshops, so not intended to compete with the Sigcomm
conference, but were intended to help foster communities local to a
region. I.e., the idea is already being used, but more to complement
than to compete with having a main international conference.

Joe