[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 27 07:42:48 PDT 2005

Chiming in as requested below ;-)

Jennifer Rexford wrote:
> Larry,
>
> Hi, good question.  The way this works now is that each conference/workshop
> decides whether to print a proceedings, and budgets the costs; they can
> decide whether to print just enough for the conference attendees (and some
> extra, e.g., for libraries, sale, etc.) or to mail to the SIG membership.
> The key issue is that each event breaks even (and budgets a small
> contingency to protect against uncertainty), and that we use SIG membership
> dues to pay for printing and mailing CCR; all members also get a copy of the
> main SIGCOMM proceedings.  A number of years ago, we used to send *all*
> proceedings to *all* members, at a cost that made us lose money on each
> member -- forcing us to use conference revenues to subsidize membership
> benefits.  That was fine, for a while...

FYI, the cost per member is around $5 each for such proceedings, and the
cost to the conference/workshop is around $15,000 to do this.

> Then, as the number of conferences and workshops started to grow in the past
> five or six years, this was getting increasingly untenable, from a cost
> perspective.

Since the SIG membership was in the $25 range, getting CCR, IMW,
HotNets, Sigcomm, LANC, etc. ate up the entire membership revenue - and
then some. Keep in mind that the SIG expenses roughly break even with
CCR and Sigcomm being the only 'all member' publications, so these
others threw us into debt to the tune of $50K a year or more.

> Plus, with papers increasingly available online (for free,
> because of a deal the SIG negotiated with ACM), mailing all proceedings to
> all members didn't seem like the best use of funds.

There are past studies that show that a paper copy increases citation
rates substantially; I haven't heard any new info that refutes that. We
would prefer to be able to distribute the copies that way, but it's not
financially feasible.

Sending everyone a CDROM doesn't have the same effect - it would come
out once a year, and doesn't encourage casual browsing the way a paper
copy still does.

> We looked at increasing
> the membership dues to avoid losing money on a per member basis (and making
> it up in volume!), but the increase struck us as too large, and some
> conference proceedings just wouldn't be of interest to some members.  And,
> we looked at having two classes of memberships -- with and without
> conference/workshop proceedings -- but the cost of printing a smaller run of
> each proceeding was higher on a per-proceeding basis, which almost
> completely offset the benefit.  (Joe, feel free to chime in -- I recall your
> doing a bunch of this analysis a number of years ago.)

There are costs: the cost to manage the list of who-gets-what, the
additional cost per issue (over 2x for small runs), etc. Overall,
per-meeting basis isn't feasible managerially, but 'all or ccr/sigcomm'
might be. However, we'd be talking about an additional $10 per issue or
more, on top of the current $35 SIG membership. That might mean an extra
cost of around $50 or more.

> Anyway, this is all a long-winded way of explaining why things work the way
> they do now, where each conference/workshop budgets the cost for printing
> its own proceedings, and mailing it (if they choose to mail it).  The bottom
> line is that SIG doesn't really have much of a revenue stream: membership
> dues cover member benefits, and conferences/workshops generally break even,

As a group - individually, some make, some lose.