[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Larry Peterson llp at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Oct 26 02:23:01 PDT 2005

Joe, I disagree that it's a private meeting. The CFP is published
widely, anyone can submit, and the these papers are the primary
factor in deciding who can attend.

Just to clarify another point (and I'm going from memory here),
the only case I remember a decision being made to invite an
author of a paper not accepted was to invite a student that had
applied for a travel grant.

BTW, I'm not claiming that the chairs have never invited anyone
that was not a student or a co-author, just that the numbers are
very small. I could make an argument that one of the PC and chair's
obligations is to put together as interesting of program as
possible, and one that has the most value to the authors (e.g.,
in terms of feedback). Having 4-5 invitations to use at their
discretion is not an unreasonable tool to achieve that goal.

Larry