[sigcomm] comments from the WWOS (HOTOS) founder

Fred Douglis douglis at acm.org
Tue Oct 25 13:07:28 PDT 2005

I pointed Joe Boykin, who started HOTOS when it was called WWOS, at the
SIGCOMM discussion.  He replied as follows, and granted permission for
me to forward to the list, as he's not a subscriber.  I'm ccing him here.

I thought his comments are very helpful:
---

I started WWOS and ran the first bunch of them and most definitely
helped push others through, so I guess I'm not unbiased.

Personally, I think there are 3 different issues here:

1) What size?

A 'Workshop' is a small (50-75) person event designed with the goal of
interaction.  Hence, attendees should not be looking for a lecture, but
a discussion among colleagues.  Workshops are single-topic, indeed, a
single topic pointed at a particular part of a larger topic.

A 'Conference' is a presentation/lecture type of setting, typically
100+.  People attend from "all over".  They often are not experts in the
particular material being discussed.  Topics are varied.

A 'Symposium' is a cross between a Workshop and a Conference. Mostly,
that means a semi-narrowly focused conference, but not a lot of
interaction.

2) Who gets to attend, and by what rules?  WWOS and HotOS ran by the
following set of rules: 60 People max (well, we sometimes went over by a
bit); Presenters of papers, Conference Organizers, PC members were all
automatically in.  After that, people who wished to attend needed to
submit a "position paper".  If we had more people who wanted to attend
than slots, we chose "intelligently" to get a mixture of people from
across the board.  Note that you said the CS required FCFS; memory says
that was not true for Workshops (although it is true for Symposia and
Conferences).  We were not allowed to discriminate for any reason, but
we *could* 'balance' attendance.

3) Who sponsors it?
First, small events often lose money, so getting sponsorship is a 'good
thing'.  Second, having a 'professional' organization behind it means
you do get conference insurance -- a good thing these days. You also get
things like credit card processing and the like.  You also get help (if
needed) negotiating contracts -- let me tell you, hotels *will* try to
rip off the uninitiated!.  And last, you (usually) get a technical
conference, not a marketing event.  If you go the corporate only route,
things often get muddy.  Of course, it all depends on the conference
organizers, but as it *always* happens, different people come along wtih
different agendas.

It sounds like the discussion is mixing the 3.