[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Larry Peterson llp at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Oct 25 07:29:52 PDT 2005

Let me try to say a couple things about HotNets, which I understand
is at the heart of this discussion. The history is that HotNets was
created through a grass-roots effort, outside the the SIGCOMM umbrella.
To help lower the barrier-to-entry, we asked SIGCOMM to sponsor, so
we could leverage existing know-how and infrastructure. Thus, I strongly
endorse Jen's observation that SIGCOMM can play a role in helping get
a new workshop off the ground.

I also strongly believe that there is a valuable place for workshops
with limited attendance. I don't think anyone is disputing that
point.

As a practical matter, once you invite one author per paper, the PC
and SC, and as many students as you find room for (typically co-authors
on accepted papers and co-authors on rejected papers), you've pretty
much filled out the workshop. My recollection is that the number of
invitations to play with is quite small, and usually go to a
non-student co-author.

So, in my view, it seems to come down to two alternatives:

1) HotNets continues with SIGCOMM sponsorship, remains closed,
    but has a more transparent admissions policy; or

2) HotNets leaves the SIGCOMM nest.

Jen points to IMW as an example of a workshop "growing up" but
I don't think that applies to HotNets, which has to remain a
workshop to maintain its value... as a place to publish early
ideas and vision papers. HotNets can survive without SIGCOMM
sponsorship, but I worry that the extra burden of running a
workshop will make it harder to get people to volunteer.

Regarding a transparent policy, I think we're pretty close to
having one (see above). Said another way, the PC decides who
attends based on the papers that are submitted.

Larry