[sigcomm] another approach

Olivier Bonaventure Bonaventure at info.ucl.ac.be
Fri Nov 11 12:13:33 PST 2005

Scott,

> 4)  These two observations lead to the proposal that SIGCOMM start a
> new multi-track conference that is open and invites 6-page papers
> that are either "idea" papers (in the sense of Hotnets) or "reality"
> papers (describing a current problem, or even just current practice
> in a relevant area).  This could become the main alternative to
> Sigcomm for the SIGCOMM community, providing a venue for the free
> exchange of early ideas and where academia and industry could have
> more fruitful interaction.

I completely agree that having a conference where both academia and
industry meet would be useful. I think that such a conference would also
be useful for industry. A few months ago, there were discussions on the
NANOG mailing list about the possibility of having a way to publish
NANOG papers that go beyond the 20 minutes presentation typically found
at NANOG. During the IETF plenary in Paris, there was also a question on
how to improve cooperation between the industry that today drives most
of IETF and academia.

Olivier