[sigcomm] another approach

Fred Douglis douglis at acm.org
Fri Nov 11 11:50:23 PST 2005

> > 4)  These two observations lead to the proposal that SIGCOMM start a
> > new multi-track conference that is open and invites 6-page papers
> > that are either "idea" papers (in the sense of Hotnets) or "reality"
> > papers (describing a current problem, or even just current practice
> > in a relevant area).
>
> I could not agree more. This is a more fundamental and important need.
> We absolutely need such a conference.
> We need a place for cute observations, crazy radical ideas, creative
> criticism
> half baked ideas for early feedback.
> Limiting to 6 pages will be key.

Except that everything you just described is valid for HOTNETS.

I think that HOTNETS fills this niche, and fills it well, and I'm sorry
to see all the talk about moving it out of SIGCOMM due to the heated
debate over limited attendance.  But as I said once before, sponsorship
of a professional organization serves many purposes, including the
insurance and financial deep pockets you need when something goes
completely amiss.  If I were on the steering committee, I wouldn't
follow Scott's lead out the door, I'd fight for ACM support.

As for industrial participation, that's orthogonal, and I'd think that
SIGCOMM could find room for a session for an industrial track a la SIGMOD.

Fred