[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Larry Peterson llp at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Nov 8 19:56:10 PST 2005

If the issue is a transparent invitation policy, then I don't think
anyone is arguing otherwise. However, this notion that the PC/chairs
are playing favorites and stacking the deck is both bewildering and
insulting.

In the interest of putting forward a tangible proposal that we can
discuss, I propose a transparent policy that roughly matches past
practice:

   o the PC and SC
   o one author per paper
   o as many students as we have scholarships for (preferring
     co-authors of accepted papers and then co-authors of
     submitted papers)
   o sponsor representatives (e.g., from NSF)

This gets us to roughly 80-90%. Then, at the Chair/PC's discretion:

   o as many second authors or authors of rejected papers as we can
     fit, perhaps with a slight bias for students/faculty at the hosting
     site.

Logistically, the invitation list probably needs to be finalized
by the chairs (as people accept or decline), but it seems reasonable
to have the PC put forward a list of "invite if room" people based
on the discussion during the PC meeting. (I should probably add at
this point that all HotNets have had co-chairs, meaning that there's
already some checks-and-balances built into the system.)

One final point. I know much of this discussion is about perception
as much as reality. Here's a small data-point of reality. In looking
at the registration list for 3 of the first 4 HotNets (all I have at
the moment), I count a total of 181 attendees and 145 unique
individuals.

Larry