[sigcomm] attendance policies for SIGCOMM-affiliated events

Scott Shenker shenker at icsi.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 8 13:08:57 PST 2005

On Nov 8, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

> Greg said:
>> 4.  a limited conference may "further research only for the
>> attendees".  but,
>> that seems unlikely.  it will hopefully (if it is any good)
>> further the field
>> of network research.  thus, it will be directly of benefit to the
>> set of
>> attendees, and indirectly of benefit to the rest of us.
>> presumably, ideas,
>> even papers, from the workshop, eventually make it to SIGCOMM, or
>> are shot
>> down.
>
> IMO, (b) has its place for a research organization. The ACM isn't one,
> and isn't here to promote research.
>
> Joe

The ACM's own description of its role (on its web page) is:

"ACM, the Association for Computing Machinery, is an international
scientific and educational organization dedicated to advancing the
arts, sciences, and applications of information technology."

While I haven't studied ACM's bylaws and charter at all, I think this
brief description would encompass what Greg is talking about.