[e2e] What's wrong with this picture?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Sep 11 11:07:03 PDT 2009

Lloyd Wood wrote:

> On 11 Sep 2009, at 16:29, David P. Reed wrote:
>>
>> Scott Bradner told me that it is common for ISPs to write contracts
>> to layer 2 equipment vendors that state "Never drop packets".
>
> We wrote RFC3366, which says "don't do that."
>
> L.

Hm. I think, particularly Dave will agree when I say we should pursue
_short_ transmission times and rather should leave a packet undelivered
than do excessive retransmissions.

This is one reason why I think that the (often claimed "strong")
difference between congestion drop and corruption drop is a bit academic
and theoretic.

Is it possible, that we encounter a combination of excessive buffering,
excessive retransmission and volative path conditions here?

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau		Galileistraße 30	70565 Stuttgart
phone: +49 711 5208031	mobile: +49 172 6819937	skype: detlef.bosau