[e2e] congestion collapse definition

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Sep 9 08:41:18 PDT 2009

rick jones wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:11 AM, Detlef Bosau wrote:
>> "excessive buffering syndrome" would be better.
>
> I'll add my stripe to the bikeshed and suggest:
>
> congestive queueing

Not quite, because filling available buffer space does not cause congestion.

However, excessive buffering may cause extremely large round trip times.
And particularly, it makes the user believe
in large "bandwidth delay products". With all the known consequences,
e.g. receiver window scaling and long times for competitive flows to
converge to equilibrium etc.

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau		Galileistraße 30	70565 Stuttgart
phone: +49 711 5208031	mobile: +49 172 6819937	skype: detlef.bosau