[e2e] Are Packet Trains / Packet Bursts a Problem in TCP?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Sep 29 15:47:08 PDT 2006

Sireen Malik wrote:

> Ofcourse heavy-tails in reality are "truncated" . Their core idea
> being that the probability of a large variate is finite. For example,
> most packets arrive with 10msec delay but one packet arrives with 1
> sec (or more) delay!  To be honest, I dont know what are the  typical
> buffer sizes these days but I think the trend has not changed towards
> "small buffer" as yet.

That doesn´t matter. Actual buffer sizes are implementation. Not science.

The question is: Do small buffers cure the problem? And if so and there
is no compelling reason for large buffers, the horse is dead and we
shall dismount. (This may sound somewhat sarcastic. But it´s _exactly_
that way: When you discover that you´re riding a dead horse: dismount.)