[e2e] performance of BIC-TCP, High-Speed-TCP, H-TCP etc

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Fri Sep 29 15:23:14 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 09:00:02AM -0700, Lachlan Andrew wrote:
> On 28/09/06, Ted Faber <faber at isi.edu> wrote:
> >It might be easier to do this on DETER:
> >
> >http://www.isi.edu/deter
> >http://www.isi.deterlab.net/doc.php3
>
> Thanks for your input, Ted.  Caltech's WAN-in-Lab also allows a
> reproducible collaborative environment that could be used before
> and/or after the meeting, but I think it is useful having face-to-face
> contact in addition to remote collaboration.

Sorry, I hadn't heard of it.  I'm assuming this is it:
http://wil.cs.caltech.edu/

FWIW the links to the WiL reports on
http://wil.cs.caltech.edu/publications/papers.php (specifically
http://wil.cs.caltech.edu/pubs/CRI-workshop-2006.pdf  and
http://wil.cs.caltech.edu/pubs/WiL-terena06.pdf ) seem to be off-line.
I'm curious to read them.

It sounded like you were suggesting something different - an in-person
bake-off.  While I think it's great to talk face-to-face, with as much
interest as there seems to be in these measurements, it seems like
reproducing the results in a way that the interested parties could all
play with them while interest is high would be a good idea.  We are
networking people; I'm assuming we could look at this without being in
the same room.

Beyond a casual interest in this - I'm not working on congestion control
right now - it really doesn't matter to me which collaborative testing
environment people use or indeed if they take up the challenge at all.

Full disclosure: some of my time is spent these days working on DETER,
so I'm directly familiar with it and supporting it.  But if you all
hiked off to Emulab or WiL to do this, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc