[e2e] Are Packet Trains / Packet Bursts a Problem in TCP?

Rick Jones perfgeek at mac.com
Wed Sep 27 17:09:32 PDT 2006

>Perhaps the real message is that obsession with the fantasy that such a
>goal is achievable has led to incredibly silly research efforts like the
>I2 hotrod compettions.

Since some of the following put food on my table perhaps I shouldn't ask, but are the I2 hotrod competitions really any worse than:

*) SPECsfs
*) SPECweb
*) netperf
*) ttcp
*) iperf
*) CNN wanting to service N% more concurrent users on existing hardware
*) people wanting backups to finish sooner, using less CPU

rick jones