[e2e] Are Packet Trains / Packet Bursts a Problem in TCP?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Sep 27 11:52:39 PDT 2006

Regarding TSO offload of TCP, early binding has benefits, but also
costs.   One would hope that the offload engine could be upgraded to
incorporate better practices.   Not being able to upgrade will indeed
enhance the ossification of infrastructure in the Internet, shortening
the time to its obsolescence.

If you design for the past, you get locked into the past.   Optimal in
the short term, but discounting the value of flexibility in the long term.

Need I repeat my rant about designing hot rods rather than family cars?
Who cares about setting I2 speed records?