[e2e] Are Packet Trains / Packet Bursts a Problem in TCP?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Sep 27 08:33:35 PDT 2006

Is this really a NIC problem or end point problem?

When I read Fred´s post yesterday, I got the impression that it´s more a
problem that flows tend not to interleave on the path. And that´s my
observation from quite a few NS2 simulations as well (although I didn´t
do any simulations during the last month, the more simulations I did,
the less sense I saw in doing so for quite a couple of reasons). Fred
mentioned that flows  do not behave "TDM like". And if this is the / one
issue, I´m curious whether this could be changed. I spontaniously
thought in the direction of "Rate Allocating Servers" (introduced by
Keshav IIRC), but even if we totally ignore the question how a correct
rate is to be set for the moment, will this scale up to thousands,
perhaps millions of flows?