[e2e] Are Packet Trains / Packet Bursts a Problem in TCP?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed Sep 27 05:01:34 PDT 2006

In message <200609262058.VAA17865 at cisco.com>, Lloyd Wood writes:

>At Tuesday 26/09/2006 13:29 -0400, Craig Partridge wrote:
>>In case of loss, TCP retransmitted only the missing segments,
>
>why did we ever bother with SACK, then?

Because, in the absence of SACK, you could only retransmit the first
missing segment.  (Note, this isn't what the TCP standard says -- but
was widely accepted as the right practice.  As I recall, there was an
email from Jon Postel c. 1987 to E2E-Interest or TCP-IP on this topic but a
quick search failed to find it).

Craig