[e2e] Are Packet Trains / Packet Bursts a Problem in TCP?

John Heidemann johnh at ISI.EDU
Tue Sep 26 10:28:34 PDT 2006

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:23:26 EDT, Craig Partridge wrote:

>Hi Bob:
>
>A team I was on showed you could do this a few years ago.  I no longer
>remember all the details (Dennis Rockwell did the hard work with UNIX
>timers) but it is probably in the paper:
>
>    J. Kulik, R. Coulter, D. Rockwell and C. Partridge,
>    "Paced TCP for High Delay-Bandwidth Networks,"
>    IEEE Workshop on Satellite Based Information Systems,
>    December 1999.
>
>Craig

And also:

Vikram Visweswaraiah and John Heidemann.
  Improving Restart of Idle TCP Connections.
  Technical Report N. 97-661, University of Southern California, Computer Science Department, November, 1997.
  <http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/PAPERS/Visweswaraiah97b.html>.

(Unfortunately, never published beyond a technical report.)

If one accepts moderate-size bursts (4-8 back-to-back segments), and a
100Hz clock (reasonably even by 1997 standards), one can pace at
nearly 10Mb/s with ease (100Hz ticks * 1500B/pkt * 8B/b * 8
pkts/ticks), and increase by a factor of 4-8 in the next round trip.

Given that today's kernels typically run at 1kHz by default, one can
multiple that by 10 even before starting any serious hacking.

   -John