[e2e] Can we revive T/TCP ?

Christian Huitema huitema at windows.microsoft.com
Fri Mar 24 22:54:51 PST 2006

>  From what (little) I've understood from some recent conversations in
> dns-operations, the DNS folks may be having some "interesting"
> interactions between spoofed source IP addresses on queries, lack of
> pervasive BCP38, and open DNS servers that might benefit from being
> able to use TCP as a transport more efficiently than it can be today.

If you want some protection against spoofed source addresses, you need a
three ways handshake. You definitely do not want to process data
received in the first message of the three way handshake, because that
is way too easy to spoof. So you want to use regular TCP, not T-TCP.
(Insert here customary observation that botnets don't bother spoofing
source addresses when engaging in DOS attacks.)

-- Christian Huitema