[e2e] Since we're already learning TCP fundamentals...

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Mar 13 04:52:28 PST 2006

And in fact a TCP source may use different segmentation in a
retransmission from the segmentation it used in the original
segmentation.   This has advantages, too, for example when using TCP to
send typed characters one at a time.  There were those who advocated
record-based counting, flow control, and error control in the original
TCP design group, but the reason Bob states is one of several arguments
against that (e.g., what if a record is bigger than the maximum segment
size?)

In general the TCP designers tended to avoid putting into the protocol
anything that was argued solely because it would be "useful to most
applications".   This is one of the many places where end-to-end
arguments were clearly uttered (though it's important to note that
Saltzer, Clark and myself didn't describe and name the category of such
arguments until a couple of years later, when we recognized the pattern
as important).