[e2e] Since we're already learning TCP fundamentals...

Agarwal, Anil Anil.Agarwal at viasat.com
Fri Mar 10 17:39:15 PST 2006

We can envision TCP offering a byte-stream service to applications (no
user segment boundaries), as it does now, but internally use segments
(appropriately sized, with PMTUD) and segment numbers. If PMTU changes
in the middle of a connection, then rely on IP fragmentation/reassembly
or some new procedure.

That can lead to a substantial CPU performance boost and code
simplification for TCP and TCP buffer management, especially with SACK
and PAWS. Would that be worth something?

Perhaps, there are historical reasons why TCP was designed to use byte
numbers - telnet over 2.4 kbps links, aggregation, 2^32 seemed like a
very large number, etc.

Regards,
Anil