[e2e] Since we're already learning TCP fundamentals...

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Mar 10 15:07:17 PST 2006

Maintaining segment boundaries is a performance challenge.

You cannot trust applications to pick segment boundaries (size that is
right for application may be too small [see Nagle algorithm] or too big
[see Mogul/Kent on why fragmentation is bad]).

If you let TCP pick segment boundaries, what happens if TCP picks wrong
(MTU changes? -- see previous paragraph) or needs to retransmit (aggregating
segments into one big packet is a win..., but aggregation is an complex
mechanism...)

Craig

PS: You're right that segments make some mechanisms a lot simpler (if you
want to take a peek, I can send you a UNIX RDP implementation from c. 1989 --
very clean).  But the semantics of segments is lousy for performance and
flexibility.