[e2e] 0% NAT - checkmating the disconnectors

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Mar 7 10:12:53 PST 2006

James Kempf wrote:
>> Does anyone have any good thoughts on how to collectively create the
>> next generation *Inter* Net - one that actually provides the
>> interoperability that all of us old codgers dreamed was possible when
>> Licklider, Taylor, Englebart, etc. first imagined it and Vint Cerf and
>> Bob Kahn made it happen?
>>

> If you want it to be secure and open, keep the NATs out but put in place
> a legal/social/commercial solution for security, kind of an Internet
> CSI. One thing I think we should have learned from the Cold War is that
> depending only on technical measures for security just leads to arms races.

Let's consider something completely different:

Assume that a NAT represent more than just a device to do address
administration.  Assume that it is part of a function the represents a desire of
intrnet operators to have a clear distinction between inside and outside.

To some extent, routers do the same thing. (Yes, NATs are more complex and are
stateful, but I'm going for a basic issue, here, so please just tolerate my
hand-waving.)

Note that routers do address translation too.  They change the current
link-layer address to be a new one.  (Dontcha just luv layers?)

For all of the implied lessons in distinguishing internal routing from exterior
routing, we seem to resist re-applying the lesson to other parts of the
architecture.

I've come to believe that most of the approach to dealing with NATs almost comes
for free if we do locator/identifier properly and provide a useful 'session'
layer (or equivalent function with the app layer.)

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking